Experimentations in Typography, Day 1
Yesterday, having some time on my hands, I decided to do a little experimenting with drawing type. Inspired by Jessica Hische and her truly out-of-this-world typographic and illustrative work, I thought it might be fun to try my hand at designing some typefaces too. It was a really interesting and fun project. The sans-serif font, which I'm sure is quite similar to what the first attempt at creating a typeface looks like from most designer's, is all based on the letter 'o'. I discovered that 'o' is really the key to the whole alphabet. It sets the letter widths, x-heights and plays a big roll in the construction of many of the letters. The script face was much more difficult and I didn't end up creating the whole alphabet, only the letters I needed. In the end, I'm really happy with the way that both of the faces look - not too polished, but with a bit of a hand-drawn and personal feel.
Experimentations in Typography, Day 1 = fun!
Have a great Thursday (I can't believe it's already Thursday - I don't want this week to end!),